Thursday, August 30, 2012

I think I can, I think I can

While driving home I was starving since I'd missed a couple of meals during the course of my day at work. Since rejoining the world of vegetarians I get to eat like a hobbit. You know, first breakfast, second breakfast, elevensies, first lunch, second lunch, etc. Anyway, I was on my way to the grocery store to pick up food for dinner that night and was trying to decide if I should pick up a quick snack or just wait until I got home.

As I was working all this out in my head I passed no less than 9 fast food restaurants in about a 1.5 mile stretch of the fourlane I was driving on. Around here we only have one highway so we call it the fourlane. It sounds cool and confuses the hell out of the tourists. Each one of those fast food establishments tried to worm its way into my consciousness and get me to turn my steering wheel and pull in for a quick pass through the drive-thru. It stuck me that this is one of the big problems with our culture. Since we've become an instant gratification, gotta have it now, hell no I can't wait kind of society no one debates whether or not to have a snack right this instant even if it's a non-nutritious, unhealthy, grease bomb of a heart attack waiting to happen. Being a vegetarian is a big enough challenge by itself without having to survive a gauntlet of “eat me” every time I drive down the fourlane.

This little episode of mind games with myself has prompted me to really focus on how I plan my daily plethora of meals. I'm still fairly new to returning to this whole vegetarian thing so I'm relearning a large amount of lost lore from the last time I did this in the 80's. Having leftovers never seems to be a problem since my family is still a carnivorous band of cavemen and women (my kids look at my meticulously crafted vegetarian meals with an expression akin to seeing a train wreck on their faces). My daily work musette contains assorted veggies, fruits, energy bars, and great quickie meals like hummus on tortillas with kalamata olives. That kind of selection lets me grab a quick snack or meal on the run. At my job I rarely get to sit down and eat, I usually eat while on the run. I still freak out my co-workers when I eat tomatoes and peppers like apples while on the job.

If you're vegetarian, how do you plan your meals?

Do you eat like a hobbit?

What veggies do you eat like an apple?


No comments:

Post a Comment