Friday, August 31, 2012

Running with the not so big dog, Part 1

As you should be able to garner from the name of my blog, my dog plays a large part in my journey back. Skye is my first animal shelter dog and definitely won't be my last. When my sons and I went to the pound to look for a new dog the pens were filled with yapping, howling maniacs that must have known what waited for them if they didn't get a pardon. We walked down a long row of pens without spotting a dog that had that special something that you just know when you see it. I've found that I make snap judgments about people and animals that usually are correct. Job interviews with me are a real hoot. “Hello, my name is Bob”, they'll say, obviously lacking that special it. “Thanks for coming”, I say. 

The catdog on guard.
Down the far side of the pens we walked discussing the various dogs we passed. As we came to the end of the row, there she was. Sitting quietly and watching us. When we paused she put her paws up on the pen door and stretched, wagging her tail. “This is the one”, I told the boys and they agreed. As it turned out she was a recent arrival and we had to wait a day to make sure her MIA owner didn't come looking for her. When we came to pick her up she quietly sat as I put the leash on her and took her to the car.

Once we got her home we discovered a few things about her that weren't outwardly obvious. One was that she was quite proficient at barking...at almost anything that came down our road, and other dogs, and sirens, and well you get the idea. Another odd thing about her is that she is a cat dog. She may look like a dog but in many ways acts like a cat. For instance, she likes to look out windows and will lay anywhere that allows her to accomplish that goal. The back of the couch, the bedside table, etc. I've never had a smallish dog before so this may just be a factor due to her size. Our Golden Retriever and Lab wouldn't have fit on either of those two options so I guess they just never thought of it. 

Trying to guilt me into a run
Ultimately, the best thing about her is she loves to get out and run! I've never really run with a dog on a regular basis. The Golden Retrievers we've had were interested in running as long as there was something to retrieve at the end of the sprint. The Lab was kind of the same way but she tended to lose interest mid run and just look at you. “What was I doing out here in the yard?”, her expression would seem to say. Skye is another matter completely. She isn't much of a retriever although she will play the game for a brief time. She absolutely goes crazy when I put on a pair of running shorts. She begins to jump vertically, bouncing her way around me. Normally I put her on a leash when we go outside so she doesn't run next door and visit with the cows and George the guard donkey (she and George have a thing going on, but that's another story). When we're going running she goes straight to the car and waits for me to open a door so she can take her position in the passenger seat.

Do you run with a dog?

Who is the leader on the run, you or the dog?

Leashed or unleashed?

No comments:

Post a Comment